FTD - A Ripoff If I've Ever Seen One

Posted Monday, October 17, 2011 10:23:36 AM
I have not written on here in 8 months, mainly due to the fact that I just don't have much spare time anymore. However, an experience with FTD has left me with a lot to say and a lot to complain about. Let me start off by showing you a picture of what I ordered from FTD's website:

This bouquet, called the "Precious Heart" bouquet, looks great in the FTD photo. I selected the "Best" quality bouquet expecting to receive what is shown in the photograph. However, this is what I received:

Looks like my order is missing a few flower's, doesn't it? Maybe it looks like they accidentally made me the lowest quality product (the $42.99 one shown on their website). Nope. That isn't the case. In the item description on FTD's website they state:

GOOD bouquet includes 11 stems.
BETTER bouquet includes 15 stems.
BEST bouquet includes 19 stems.

How can a company show a picture of an arrangement with AT LEAST 40 flowers (and that's just what I can count on one side!), when they are only going to send you 19? They clearly have 3 options for this arrangement, $42.99, $52.99, and $62.99 all with pictures different from one another. Even the cheapest arrangement shown on their website has more flowers on it than the "Best" one that I ordered. In fact, it is impossible to even order a bouquet that would look like the ones shown in FTD's photographs, as they don't have an option for an arrangement made of 80 flowers, which is how many I estimate are in the "Best" quality photo.

I checked other arrangements on their site, thinking that maybe this one was just a mistake. It was not. Every arrangement on FTD.com is done the same way, a HUGE arrangement is shown, but in the item description the number of stems listed is only a fraction of what is depicted.

I have contacted FTD.com and want to hear their side of the story. I want to see how they can justify showing pictures of arrangements with 80 flowers but only delivering arrangements with 19 flowers. This is a gross misrepresentation of the facts and is an example of false advertising at its finest. This is the type of thing that brings about class action lawsuits, and FTD may soon have one on its hands if they cannot change their deceptive marketing behavior.
Comments: 91 (View | Post)
Tags: complaint, FTD
Categories: Most Popular, Personal

View Comments

There are 91 comments on this article
Marv (23 days ago)
Biggest problem is that most of the time certain flowers to create a certain look in a bouquet are not on hand and the shop will attempt to get them. If the shop is unsuccessful they have to send something to avoid being charged double for that order by not completeing it or having to reject it. Also it's impossible to make a lot of that stuff shown for those prices and the shops only end up with a overall 50% payment in the end.
Kelly Book (2 months ago)
So sad, so true. When FTD took over ProFlowers, it was a shameful beginning of the end. Drove a wonderful company into the ground!!!
mike whitehead (4 months ago)
Same issue here a couple different times. Unfortunately it was a funeral. I spent $100 and the flowers were maybe 10" tall and 6" wide. Looked to be about $10 worth. It's such a scam and I felt embarrassed, but of course I can't complain about flowers at a funeral!
your daddy (9 months ago)
seems to me that the real problem is your inability to read. The website said 19, and by my count you were sent 19, as well as a nicer vase. Do you order a big mac and complain to Ronald McDonald that it doesn't look anything like the menu pic?
Rick (9 months ago)
Unbiased here. No skin in the flower game anymore. But listen, floral forwarding services are just that, services, for which the customer pays dearly. If you send flowers, from a photo, from any service, they take their charges off the top, The florist takes their delivery charge off the top. They can't across to drive 20-40 miles round trip, 20-30 times a day. When ordering online, you're just blowing money. ALWAYS Google a florist in the town you're sending to for MUCH better personal service. The florist will always try to send something much better due to direct customer contact rather that looking at a sky number in a book, sent by a service. Speak with them personally, establish a five minute rapport, trust the designer with a " designers choice," but you can specify colors and flowers. You'll get a much better, higher value, delivered product. The catalog pictures from which you ordered are all staged and nearly impossible to replicate. Stem vs bloom count varies greatly. Flowers are not consistent in their size or bloom count unless your ordering fake flowers. Trust you local florist. Tell him/her the occasion, flower choice and color and your budget. You'll be much happier with your purchase.
Derek (10 months ago)
Just going through the same ordeal, but have to say that what you received looks better than what I received. This item "Precious Heart Bouquet" is like their flagship Valentines item, and has been for a number of years, so you would think that participating florists would be able to make what they deliver look somewhat similar.

I understand that FTD is taking a cut, but %27 is actually a small cut -- most retailer's take 50%. Plus a $21.99 delivery fee is added on top. What's all this BS about subtracting delivery from the cost?

The total paid for the "BEST" flowers was $79.99, plus $21.99 delivery, plus taxes, adding up to well over $100, for something I could have gotten at Walmart for $20, and the florists are pointing the finger at FTD?

Come on... this total bs.
Steve (10 months ago)
Yes, the picture is not what arrives. Sent my girlfriend a order from one I picked out on their website. When she showed me a picture of what came, it was nothing like what I ordered. When I emailed them, they said they would correct the problem with another bouquet. The florist came back 3 days latter and demanded the flowers back at her office. Then FTD sent an email that said there were no other florists to fill the order. It took 2 months to get a refund.
lilly (11 months ago)
As an FTD florist that can't wait to have the luxury to quit I can tell you that we hate making these arrangements because they never match the photos. All the pictures show the flowers pulled to the front however when you arrange it in a round vase with a 4" opening everything looks much crappier. They charge you service fee and processing fees which we don't get a penny of. We only receive the cost of the arrangement i.e. $45 we subtract $10-$15 for delivery and make the arrangement based on their recipes. They provide quantities, color, and substitutions. They also take 27% of the $45 so at the end of the day the customer gets ripped off and we get the shit end of the stick. By the time we pay for flowers, labor, and containers we barely make any money. I am working towards the goal of being independent so support your local florist instead of giving business to these companies.
Floral designer (11 months ago)
Because stems are not the same as blooms or buds. Most of the flowers in that arrangement have multiple buds per stem. Hence the designation of stem, not bloom. Went address you using a wire service anyway? Call a local florist directly. They don't have hidden fees.
Mark (1 year ago)
Yep, they got me too! Wish I could post a picture of the ridiculous flowers that were delivered for over $80. Same arrangement.
Becky (1 year ago)
They make a point not to let you know that DELIVERY is deducted before the flowers are assembled which in some cases can be $20 and each filling florist CLEARLY states what those delivery fees will be and that they are deducted ALSO before your order is sent out they DEDUCT FEES so the filling florist does not actually get the amount you paid they get -27% so in order for you to get what you want from a filling florist QUIT CALLING FTD and spend your money wisely THEY ARE A CALL CENTER THAT CHARGES YOU HIDDEN FEES TO "HELP" YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER. CALL A LOCAL FLORIST AND DISCUSS YOUR ORDER THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO LOOK AT THE PICTURE YOU ARE LOOKING AT AND CAN LET YOU KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DUPLICATE IT EXACTLY. Please shop locally.
Cas (1 year ago)
Plus...no whining needed. Why should anyone have to call and complain. The florist can see the picture clearly plain as day as the customer who ordered them in the first place. The customer pics the picture and should be able to consider the process done. They are flowers for goodness sakes. Do what the customer orders - simple as that.
Cas (1 year ago)
I ran across the same problem too. Will never order from FTD ever again. They have tarnished their name due to crappy florist shops.
Cas (1 year ago)
Thelma Fuller (1 year ago)
I think that these flowers should of not been delivered to me as my daughter had sent them to me for MOTHERS DAY they are hanging over and most of them are dead. I think who ever set these out should be upset as I am.
Christine (1 year ago)
You've got to be kidding me, the comments I've read have no foundation...the FTD site says the filling florist (that is the florist filling the order) may substitute and deliver as similar as possible...did y'all even call the filling florist for the dissatisfaction? My guess is no, because you chose to whine instead.
Jeannie Graham (1 year ago)
I too, have been a victim of FTD. Just was told by Laura Culver should would fix the error and send my daughter the right flowers. Now she blocked my email address and never once returned my calls after easily 25 messages. I am disgusted with FTD and will never use t3hem again. I have the email saying she would fix it, but that does not apply ... clearly!!! Being a 20 year customer and used them often, it is their loss. I find them completely unprofessional.
Jeannie Graham (1 year ago)
I was promised by Laura Culver that they would resend the right flowers to my daughter, now she is unreachable. If anyone knows who I can contact , please let me know. I will never order FTD again. Jeannie Graham Their loss. I use them at least every month.
Tammy (1 year ago)
I ordered flowers for my mom for Valentines day and here it is February 16 and she has yet to receive her flowers. I've called and called but all they do is get my name and say that someone will call me back. Have yet to hear from anyone.
Virginia E Brown (2 years ago)
Hey there Adam just came across this blog and was amazed I am a Florist out of Flint Michigan and I want to apologize to you for the arrangement that you received. I am glad to hear that you are putting this on FTD, because as a florist the process of getting wired referrals from FTD are disheartening. I am new to the business and have yet reached out to the wire services at FTD, Telefloral, Pro Flowers or whatever ones that are out there because I want to deal with customer direct or Florist to Florist direct. This is what I have found out when using the big name wire services as a vendor. Orders are given to what they refer to as gathers. So say you purchased a $100 order, that goes to a gatherer, then to FTD, then to another gatherer, then to the Florist. That $100 dollar order just turned in to a 40-50 purchase depending on if the tax and delivery charge is included to the Florist. Everyone involved gets a piece of the pie. No it is up to the Florist to either adhere to the FTD requirements of the recipe for the order of if you are like me and have a conscience you do your best to give the customer what he paid for, and to me it even can come to a loss to the florist. It's all about integrity and your business's good name. So in the future don't let this experience deter you from ordering flowers for a loved one. Just google a florist in the area that you are going to send flowers to and send them direct. Hope this helps a bit. Thanks for your time
Virginia Brown Alluring Floral and Event Planning, Flint Michigan, 48506 (810) 285-9292
MaryMJ (2 years ago)
Hello! My name is MaryMarkova, our compane need to advertise on your website. What is your prices? Thank you. Best regards, Mary.
Christina (2 years ago)
This company sent me emails every day for 2 weeks. When I tried to unsubscribe, the website stated that I did not have an account. I called the company and asked them to unsubscribe me and they stated they did. I then got another 5 emails over the course of 3 days. This company is a scam. Their marketing is a scam. And the email they send is spam. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COPMANY!!!! They are sending spam email illegally and are in direct violation of the CAN-SPAM Act by not giving customers a way to unsubscribe to their emails. I had to make a BBB complaint just to get this company to stop emailing me.
Ty (2 years ago)
Count the stems in the advertisement not the flower buds..... 19 stems in both pictures. Is it shady yes however still legal and not false advertising. Sorry man that sucks
sorry (2 years ago)
Good bouquet says 11 stems--I counted in the photo the ad is like the Fast Food ads, where they show a hamburger that looks YUMMY but that ain't what you get as never looks like the t.v. commercials !!!v sorry
casey cole (2 years ago)
Nice post ! I was enlightened by the information , Does someone know if my company could grab a sample SSA-521 example to complete ?
Josh (2 years ago)
The sad part is that the Florist actually did it correctly. On the ftd order, theres a 2nd choice given to the shops " similar as possible" The florist substituted standard carnations ( the larger ones) for the Mini carnations as pictured.. Mini carnations are like the other ones except that instead of one large bloom, there can be as many as 5-6 smaller blooms..the average consumer doesnt know this and feels they are being ripped off. Secondly, the photos are taken with all the arrangements being 3 sided. There are no flowers in the back, they are all facing forwards..The flowers are always in full bloom and show well in pictures.. ftd keeps 27% of every single order plus a per order fee ( $2.75 or more ) plus a service charge ( 19.99) and tax. For example... you select a $100 order..with tax and service charge it comes to approx $130.00 ftd then sends the order to one of the local ftd shops in the city in which the flowers are being delivered. ftd sends the order for $100 less the 27% and less the cost of your delivery.. When all is said and done, the florist has approx $60-$65 retail to work with. This equates to approx $36-$40 in flowers, retail.. Really not too sure what is so difficult.. anytime you have 3 people in a 2 person transaction, people overpay and people make no profit..With ftd, teleflora, 800 flowers and the like, they are leaches that take advantage of consumers lack of floral knowledge. The consumer loses, the florist loses and your recipient loses... please tell me why on earth anyone in their right mind would continue to go through this?! I believe it would be the true definition of crazy. Continuing to do the exact same thing but expecting a different result.
P.S. Just google flowers or florist and the city in which you want your flowers delivered.. simple as that.
Nancy Hawn (2 years ago)
Well at least you got your order (pathetic they are not what you paid for). I ordered flowers to send out of state to colleague for last day of work, she retired. Never received. Called. Said we will get back to you on this. No apology. No response, that was 2 days ago. Called credit card company, they said I have to wait 30 days to file a claim.
D (2 years ago)
I ordered the standard FTD precious bouquet as well for Mother's Day through the Toronto flower company! The bouquet Adam got is beautiful compared to what I got! Mine had only 6 bloomed flowers and and everything else was just leafy greens.
Cynthia (2 years ago)
Ordered flowers for mothers day. Was e-mailed to say it would not be there until Monday or Tuesday. Got email Monday night to say product unavailable. Called ftd and no way were they concerned. I just requested refund. Best thing in future is call local florist for delivery. Leave out ftd!!!
Chris (2 years ago)
I don't use FTD because I've had the same experience. I called a Florist and they told me it was because FTD sets the price and then makes the florist pay a cost to them and they are left with nothing. I told him to stop using FTD if they didn't want to pay their fees.
Flower Farm (2 years ago)
We are a flower farmer, and were sending out courteous (non-spam) emails to florist direct about offering our U.S. farm flowers.

All of a sudden all contact forms of florists websites that we have contacted using the FTD contact form (evidently a referral email) appears to have BLOCKED our farms email from contacting florists direct.

Very unfortunate for the florist and the end user to not have access to:
1) U.S. grown flowers
2) Cheaper costs
3) Fresher flowers
4) Lower environmental impact.
dave (2 years ago)
i am a retail florist, i purchased 1000 red roses for my store , they came in 2 days before vday, were absolute garbage,called my rep at the ftd flower exchange, and was told i"d get a credit for all the roses plus the 3 boxes of lilies that were garbage as well, today 5 days later i find out they (ftd) will only credit 20 percent!if this is the way FTD treats their florists i would strongly advise consumers stay clear of FTD and only go through their local florists.
as well i agree FTD florists are indeed dumping FTD and as a Top FTD 100 member. i will NEVER buy another Product from FTD.
Shay (2 years ago)
FTD is a HUGE RIP OFF. I ordered my valentines flowers a month ago in advance the day of valentines I get nothing they constantly repeated and said they were 30 mins away in sending then 5 hours later still nothing. The customer services is a joke they barely speak any freaking English they are beyond rude what a way to mess up someone's valentines, I would of did better just picking up an arrange from an grocery store florist. Never again will I order from FTD please people do not try it they will give you the run arounds.
jason freely (3 years ago)
Adam,
I'm a florist with some feedback.
1.) all pictures on-line (unless otherwise stated are always 3 sided (no back).
2.) If you order from a national website (FTD, Teleflora, From You Flowers, Wesley Berry, Ava's Flowers, 1800flowers) they are not florists and do not have any flowers. They are national marketing companies.
3.) the work was farmed out to a local florist and only the value of the arrangement was sent to them to work with(i.e. $42.99) the delivery fee and tax you paid went straight to the marketing company and not the florist.
4.) the florist will remove their delivery fee from your floral value ($42.99-$15=$27.99 new floral value)
5.) the florist also knows that for filling your $42.99 order they have to pay commissions and fees so they will be lucky to see 54 on the $1.

hope this helps explain why it is always better to call a local florist.
Bob Labulax (3 years ago)
I once worked for FTD and it was the most horrible employer I ever had. I worked with a lot of vicious, incompetent people. I'm not surprised they're misrepresenting their products.
flower lover (3 years ago)
The best answer to what happened here is found at the bottom of the page, last comment. Few comments from a real florist who is no longer part of the "wire services". The vase in the picture is the same in each arrangement 6 x4 gathering vase. Helps with the illusion you are getting a bigger arrangement. The vase sent is 8 inches tall so helps make the actual flowers look smaller. The stems are not the same as blooms - a daisy, aster, mini carnation, astromeria, and others are cheap flowers with multiple blooms on one stem to fill the arrangement up. Most really good florists are leaving these wire services in droves, sick and tired of being treated like idiots, unnecessary fees, begging for more money to fill orders so there is a profit, being on the filling end of scamms (without realizing it, cause we don't know how much you truly paid for it, just what they are willing to GI be us). This leaves new and garbage florists filling your orders. The new ones might have good intentions but not know what they are doing. The garbage florists don't care they know these orders will keep coming. Then there are still a few good florists who are bad at math so don't realize they are getting ripped off. Other words you are playing Russian roulette when you order from these companies. Some people have great experiences, the rest don't. And this whole drop ship flower thing......yah flowers flying in across the country ending up in non climate controlled trucks no wonder you have problems with that. True story....real florist. Yesterday I received a call from Teleflora, they didn't have a florist in the area to fill an order so they asked if I could do it. Asked them for the recipe number. The price they quoted to me was the premium price 59.99, they said the customer only wanted the standard 39.99 one. So the customer paid 20 over because its mothers day? Wow. Triple checked that because I was not going to be the cause of a complaint... Because Teleflora paid via credit card to me I filled to value, larger then what the customer had paid. Lesson...talk to a local florist the deals the wire services offer are not worth the head ache
flower lover (3 years ago)
Ro Gal (3 years ago)
Sent one of these to my Mom without knowing it was a "one sided" vase. She called the florist and complained that the person there wasn't arranging their flowers correctly.
FTD and most others are a ripoff!!
Ro Gal (3 years ago)
FTD and most others are a ripoff!!
Jay (3 years ago)
Was checking out, saw a $17 "service charge", and $2 delivery fee.
Removed item from basket.
Opened browser. Logged into groupon. Cancelled order for ftd groupons.
Mission accomplished. I'll be picking up the phone, shortly.
Jay (3 years ago)
Was checking out, saw a $17 "service charge", and $2 delivery fee.
Removed item from basket.
Opened browser. Logged into groupon. Cancelled order for ftd groupons.
Mission accomplished. I'll be picking up the phone, shortly.
mary (3 years ago)
Adam, I have had this happen at least 3 times when sending floral gifts to my mother in law and grandmother in law. The receive the flowers and then text me a picture of them and each time the item NEVER looks like its supposed to. So I contact the company and they send out a new item and even then they get it wrong. And I keep contacting them until they get it right. Its my hard earned dollars and I want what I am paying for! I have learned to note in the order to send as shown in pictures NO SUBSTATUTIONS ! If they plan on changing the order they have to contact me before they can send .PERIOD ! seems to work for me but it is so sad that a customer has to resort to doing these measures. Rant over.
K (3 years ago)
Why do the florists keep saying the arrangement in the photo is clearly an arrangement facing front when you can see that flowers are facing all the way around the arrangement? Two pink roses are clearly facing backwards and unlikely hanging out there naked.
Rosemary Miner (3 years ago)
Do not order online!! I learned the hard way. My family ordered a 149.99 wreath for our sisters funeral and it looked sick beside the other ones there and they paid around 68.00 by going to a local Florist. I complained but got no answer from them. So again don't order from ftd online.
Barbara (3 years ago)
I know this is an older post. But, I hope that someone sees this post now.. Please Order direct. I cannot say this enough. Pick up the phone, talk to a local florist. Make sure they actually have a flower shop. You will get more for your money and you will know what they have on hand. Call direct. it is the only way to go. You can go online.. but remember you will always be spending 20 dollars more .. when it says best for 62.99..they do not tell you that 10 of that is for the delivery fee. So the florist takes the 10 off.. that leaves 52... wait.. dont forget the florist has fees on top of that .. that they pay.. it is a crazy racket.. but some florist feel forced to have these wire services to get the orders..so spread the word.. Order Direct.. Save Money.. talk to someone in Person..
Barbara (3 years ago)
Barbara (3 years ago)
Mary (4 years ago)
I just received flowers from my co workers and boss... It is an arrangement of all the same filler flowers not ONE FLOWER. I could of bought the same thing at the grocery store for $6.99 . I will NEVER use FTD EVER!! I will let everyone know as well.
maria (4 years ago)
Hello, my name is Maria, i just recently went through the same thing. i am angred by their actions.
Bobbi (4 years ago)
I just had the same thing happen to me, I was very disappointed in the flowers I sent. I paid a lot of money for those flowers. When I talked to them they refunded me 10% big deal. I will never order from them again
Bill Miller (4 years ago)
I wish I had read all these comments several days ago. I ordered some flowers for my mom for Mother's Day last Friday, May 9th, and chose same-day delivery. Flowers were not delivered on Friday, or on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I emailed on Saturday to find the order status, and the reply was that they would be delivered on Monday, which, as I said, they were not. Then I emailed to cancel my purchase. The reply was that I could not cancel the order because the flowers were "en route." Clearly, the were not. I'm sitting here about mid-day Tuesday, four days or so after I first ordered the flowers. I just got cut off after being on hold for over 20 minutes. The recorded message kept repeating that "due to the holiday" which ended two days ago, "unexpected delays are causing wait-times" on the phone to be "30 minutes or more." Why understaffed? And how can you still be so overwhelmed by calls two days after Mother's Day? Will never do business with these people again.
Victoria (4 years ago)
I 100% agree with all of these complaints. I wish I would've seen this sooner. I order a groupon pay $20 and they'll give me a $40 credit for ftd. What I didn't know is that the service fee is about $25. So I paid $20 for the groupon.. They take take $25 for the service fee.. And I've just broken even. That's not even considering the price of the actual flowers. This is a major scam!!!! I could easily paid $15 and bought a similar arrangements at publix and just reused an old case. Now I ordered 2 groupon.. Since I wanted to have 4 arrangements. I was unable to add an additional group on and had to place a separate order. When I went the place a separate order it seems like the company had the flowers discounted at $10 off and therefore was unable to add the groupon. Now I'm over $200 in the gutter flowers that are no when near that value/ look no where near the pictures(I wish I could post them), delivered to my closet relatives.
Kate (4 years ago)
This is what I hate about being a florist and having to work with the large order-gatherers. FTD, Teleflora, and all those other sites, are not florists! All they do is provide you with pretty pictures to click on, take your money, and fax the order to an actual local florist who has the impossible task of creating an identical arrangement to the picture with not enough money to work with, and having to wrestle with the tricky game of substitutions. Florists simply can not carry all of the flowers that are offered on the internet, so when an order is faxed over with flowers that are not in season or in stock, we are left to try to make something as close as possible. We also get penalized for rejecting an order due to not enough money or not having the right kind of flowers. And when customers call and complain? That is the local florists fault too. The internet companies don't take any heat. I would love it if floral design was treated like the art that it is, and left to actual floral artists who know what flowers cost and what looks good, instead of trying to order it online like off a menu like at a fast food restaurant. You cant do that with art.
Shawna (4 years ago)
FTD is a RIPOFF but not just for you the consumer, but also for your local Florist, Firstly, Florists can not possibly provide every flower in their shop, so its not likely you will order an arrangement that has every thing you want in it. Secondly, I hear that you ordered an arrangement on Mothers day or Valentines and didnt get what you thought should be up to your value, If the wholesalers are jacking their prices, who do you think is going to make up the difference, not the flower shop, they are already taking a 25% hit every time you the consumer uses a wire service. With the advent of the Internet people think they are saving time ordering on line, well it looks like all you people haven't saved a bit of time, in fact it looks like you have spent hours tring to rectify your situations, PHONE YOUR LOCAL FLORIST!!! They will be able to tell you exactly what they have in stock and you will be happier with your final product, (this is what they do for a living) stop relying on a picture that you think is pretty,because unless a flower shop is even coded for the novelty vases and baskets, your getting it in a generic clear vase, florists cannot possibly carry all the containers either, and most people are not prepared to spend 25$ to 50$ on just the vase, so be warned,FTD provides a service, and if you across the country, it might be easier to use, but if your down the block from your local Florist, Pick up the Phone!
Barb (4 years ago)
I was shopping online for flowers for my husband's secretary for "Secretary's Day". I picked a bouquet of flowers (don't remember which web site) and proceeded to order. When I got to the final page I saw it was a $15 delivery charge so I decided to find a better deal. Went to web site #2 and placed an order. The flowers were delivered yesterday as planned. Today my husband's secretary received a second bouquet of flowers without a personalized card. I checked credit card and there was a $65 dollar charge pending from FTD. I called FTD to inquire about the order. I told the rep I was charged for flowers I didn't order. He was able to pull up "my order" by the delivery address I provided and said it appeared that I had placed an order in my cart and that order went through even though I never pressed submit. He could even see that the order was on hold because it was missing some information, but went through anyway. I asked how it went from my cart to being purchased, and he said that's just how it works. I'm floored!!! How often do you shop online and add stuff to your cart then leave and go back and stuff is still in cart. Never once in all my online ordering did an order inadvertently get placed if I did NOT press submit. The rep could not explain to me how the order was placed. I finally got a so-called manager on the phone and she looked at the order and said an email was sent to my husband's email address confirming the order. My husband never received an email (otherwise we would have know to cancel this order). Secondly, she sad what the card read and who it was from, and it was not at all what I had written for the correct flower order. Bottom line is FTD said I placed the order. I called the local florist that delivered the flowers and the owner said there is such a scam going on with the online flower industry, particularly Wesley Berry Flowers -- the middleman between FTD and the local florist. The charge is still pending on my credit card, but as soon as it's an active charge I will dispute it until they give me my money back. Oh, and how stupid that these flowers were delivered today, and yesterday was "secretary's day". Just add it to the list of the unprofessionalism and corruption here.
Anthony (4 years ago)
As a florist, let me comment on what happens here. First, the arrangement pictured has been digitally enhanced to look more appealing, as is the common practice with catalogue items. Secondly, the arrangement pictured on the websight is a one-sided arrangement (on the backside, it's just greens, all the flowers are in the front) as opposed to the one you recieved where the flowers are spread all around the vase. Neither style is "wrong" per se, but most people prefer the all-around design, and most florists prefer to do this type of arrangement as we often do not know where the recipient will place this in their home, and if it will be seen from all sides (such as in the middle of a table). Thirdly, the FTD pricing on www.ftd.com does not reflect the market prices of agricultural products nationwide, but rather represents an average. Depending on your location in proximity to import facilities, prices might be more. That is explained in detail on the website. 4th, the florist filling the order might not have been given the full amount to fill the order. Often online order-gatherers keep a portion for themselves as commission. Thats how they make their money. This is why one should never order from online services, but rather should call a local florist with whom you can speak directly. I always advise that, as a customer, you ask to speak to the designer that will be making the arrangement. If for any reason you are not allowed to speak directly with the actual designer, hang up and call someone else. Chances are it's a call center that is going to take your money and try to farm the order out to a real florist for a percentage of the actual total. I see it every day. Orders place with online or 1-800 services ALWAYS and without exception end up with the sender screaming "I paid $??? for THAT!?!?!?"
Paul Dychkowsky (4 years ago)
All,

The same thing has happened to me. I ordered "The Precious Heart Arrangement" and got something totally different. The flowers were not of the correct color/type or number. It seems that the bait and switch campaign is alive and well at FTD. They said they will send another arrangement. I remain skeptical as to the quality of the new order.
Scott Gould (4 years ago)
I too got ripped off-BIG time. At least most folks seemed to received *something* for their money. I paid $80.00 for an arrangement, and my wife never got her flowers as promised. When I inquired, I was told they ran out of the flowers I had selected- and to my astonishment! How is that even possible? Don't they contract with local florists? The worst part of it all, is that they have stalled my refund now for 3 weeks and counting. Every time I call them to ask about the status, the heavily accented woman puts me on hold for 3 to 5 minutes, and then comes back on, and tells me it's on its way. This is a huge scam!!! I wish I wouldn't have been a victim of theirs, and read these reviews first!
Jos. Santoli, Esq. (4 years ago)
I AM bringing a class action case. Anyone ripped off can call my cell: 1-800-279-6996 or email me. Thx Adam for your great work. Jos.
Carlee T (4 years ago)
Got my 2 dozen hundred and some dollar wilted flowers today (3 days late)! Looks like a child cut them and the vase is like a thimble and the fillers are weeds! Still trying to get a refund after an hr and keep going back and fourth with fed ex and FTD. I'm just gonna have my poor Bf call Visa and deny charge. Horrible service, horrible flowers!!!!
Paul E. (4 years ago)
Same story happened to my with abit more frustration. Let me explain!!! I ordered over $1K in flowers for valentines day in 4 orders and 2 orders were not delivered even do they charged me for delivery, another order was delivered but they only delivered the flowers and didn't the deliver the additional items I paid for like (teddy bear, balloons, chocolates) and the last one they delivered it on time but I spent a lot of money and 3 days later today half the flowers are looking down tired and about to die. The flowers were not fresh not SENSATIONAL LUXURY as described. I had my parents waiting ALL weekend for the delivery and 3 days later the lame excuse from FTD is that they cant reach the local florist they send the order to. If this is how FTD does business and their idea of customer service they have a serious issue. They also had the edacity to only offer a $24 credit for the problems. I am sorry. its been 3 days past the original delivery date, over $1,000 in orders, 2 of them STILL NOT delivered, one arrangement dying and the other STILL INCOMPLETE. buyers be ware. They have NO CONCEPT of quality service, NO CONCEPT OF CUSTOMER SERVICE and good support. Next time find a local florist online or by driving by if its local and buy direct. Just as a FYI.
1 rueful ex-FTD customer (4 years ago)
Adam, this is the EXACT order I had and guess what? You posted in 2011 and it is now 2014 and the vase your flowers arrived in is the exact same version that showed up with my flowers! What are the chances that your florist and mine are sharing the same supplier?You live up north - I live down south. FTD thinks it has its bases covered with the substitution policy, which is not on the page where the flowers are or even where the credit card information is but instead is strategically placed where only a dissatisfied customer would go to complain - the customer service link. So, the recipient has the flowers and they think this is what you paid for. Do you grin and pretend or pitch a fit? Not good either way - which, of course, benefits FTD. I learned my lesson - local florists only and from now on, I will make it a point to click the customer service link on every website I want to order something so I can read things like "The flowers YOU chose to order because you liked the way it looked may be substituted with any other flower even if it is cheaper (imagine that# and by the way, the vase that you liked that your substituted flowers was supposed to arrive in can be substituted with a different one that you didn't choose #not in writing but certainly implied that it also can be cheaper - oh and it was#. This is sort of like ordering a racehorse you look at online #and carefully read the attached description) to ride in a derby and having a miniature pony arrive instead. Yeah... it may be cute but the saddle/bridle won't fit and your legs are going to drag the ground - but hey! you should have known to look for a substitution policy hidden under the manure. Class action lawsuit, anyone? I'm just saying...
Randi (4 years ago)
I am a very new Florist and just signed with FTD even though I really didn't want to use the wire services, but I wasn't getting enough business so I had no choice. I am already noticing so many problems one I'm new to FTD so I have to front all the floral products with no compensation because they only pay you once a month. I did the math last night and after fees and everything else they take out I'm not even making enough to cover the cost I already spent. I'm losing money and I hate that they mislead the customer. My customers are very important to me and I want them to be happy with the product they are getting but that's not going to happen if people keep ordering from wire services instead of straight from the florist. Not to mention it makes the florist look bad when in reality we are doing what we can with what FTD gives us.
Kerri (4 years ago)
Same story here! Wish I had read this first! This is simply fraud on FTDs end as you cannot say you are getting 17 stems and then deliver 9. I don't care what the technical terminology is, when you show 17 stems in a vase in the picture, that is what I am paying for. Time to go to the BBB and my credit card company on this one!
Penny (4 years ago)
I am a local florist in a small town. FTD, (and thousands of other organizations like them) keep at least a third of your money, and florists are left to make an arrangement "similar" in appearance to their photos. Note that in their photos, they pull every flower to the front of the vase, making the bouquets look huge and full when they snap the photo of the one sided arrangement. Once we take the same amount of flowers and spread them full circle around the vase, they look half the size. The moral of the story? Call a local florist directly. Look online for a florist with an actual street address in the closest town or city to where you want to send flowers. If there is no street address, they are "fishers", looking for flower orders they can forward to a real florist and keep a third of your money so you get a smaller bouquet. A real florist will be able to tell you what they have available, what their true delivery charge is, if any, and you will get your full money's worth of flowers.
Gail Choate (4 years ago)
I ordered a Money Tree (50 bucks)for my parents. What they received was a FERN. You know, like the kind you buy at Walmart for 8 bucks.

Not only that, but it was left on their front porch in 10-degree weather with no attempt at getting their attention (they were home). They just happened to go outside and there it was. This was delivered by a local florist that I used because my experiences with 1800 florists were so bad. I didn't realize a local florist would use FTD. When the florist was called, they said FTD authorized them to substitute the money tree for the fern because they were comparable in size.

That's like saying it's okay to substitute a plastic ring out of a gumball machine for a diamond ring because they're the same size.

Good grief. Are there not ANY reputable florists you can trust?! I will NEVER order from another florist online or by phone and certainly never FTD-associated businesses for any reason.
Mike (5 years ago)
I guess this would be called the ole: Bait and Switch. just sent an 85.00 beautiful arrangement for my friends funeral and had a cheap shabby arrangement delivered. Screw these lowlife hucksters con artist. Don't ever do business with these scum sucking criminals. Hey FTD; if you were legitimate, your substitutions would be a step up, not three steps down to bolster your bottom line.
ana bell (5 years ago)
hello i am a local florist , we have had FTD through our florist. this is what happens
you order a 67.99 vase arrangement online with a large teddy bear included with umm maybe 14.99 delivery cost (which they keep .not a single delivery cash gets to us) then there is tax on top if applicable
here comes the doozy
the order gets shot to our florist. they keep 20% of what u paid (so they say i did the math and they keep about 35%) well any way .on the order form your 85.00 vase arrangement turns into 54.99 total including delivery and tax . so from 54.99 we take off delivery (7.50 here) and then tax about say $4.00 and then teddy bear (large it said on the form) our large teddy bears cost 45.00 (umm we can't do that ) so we say get the medium but still not small for 16.99 so all that come to your flowers being for 19.00 and the order form said roses (red ) and burgundy carnations. ok... now go to your local grocery store and see what you can get for 19.00 (not much huh) well you can imagine what a florist will give you (because frankly we care for your flowers better than a grocery store and we don't deliver a week old arrangement we make it custom for you .... so after all this my conclusion is stop ordering online use mapquest type in the address its going to then search nearby a florist ,call them and see what 85.00 can really get you (which most likely be a beautiful arrangement with a teddy bear ) because all the profit is being used with the florist not a wiring service. and you know what breaks my heart is when someone will come in and see a beautiful fresh arrangement and say " well i am going to order on line because they were cheaper there" and because people kept ordering online our florist was forced to use FTD . and did i mention that wiring service will not give us your name or phone number . they say privacy rule . but all i wanted to tell my customer was that the flower he ordered online we had in stock but looked not as fresh and beautiful as a replacement flower i would have mentioned . or to call my customer and say i know u ordered a large teddy bear but they cost too much for your order.
Valerie Matthis (5 years ago)
I live in Europe and had flowers delivered to the Startes and had the same experience as you. I ordered " the best" and it cost around $110 with final charges and the picture I received of the delivered flowers looked like "the worst". NEVER AGAIN
Gerry (5 years ago)
I ordered a $35 bouqet of flowers on sale and paid $15 for delivery to my wife's office. They showed up one day late with a $5.99 grocery store vase of flowers. My wife thought it was one of my stupid jokes.

Thanks FTD for ripping me off. I will never buy online flowers again.
Eric (5 years ago)
Same prob. Never will use them again...
Salla (5 years ago)
Happened to my husband with 1-800-Flowers. He paid almost $100 for the "better" arrangement, which turned out to be way too small and the flowers had brown around the edges. GO WITH A REAL LOCAL FLORIST, ALWAYS. My arrangement was made and delivered by a local florist contracted through 1-800-Flowers, but the local florist only sees a fraction of that money. I checked, and the exact same arrangement pictured was $20 cheaper on the local florist's site, but my husband paid $12 or so for "delivery," so he paid at least $30 more going through 1-800-Ripoff than if he had gone directly through a local florist. Also, if you go through a local florist, you get to choose which one you use and you can choose a real one with a sense of artistry and ability to create something rather than one that has a bunch of phone photoshopped FTD and Teleflora pics on their site. All of these online "florists" are simply middlemen more than happy to skim $30 off your order then have whatever florist they can get throw something together.
Brandon (5 years ago)
This is a local delivery product. Unfortunately some filling florists fail to register that this is the best option and instead deliver regular size product. It happens all the time, in most cases it's not intentional. Call the customer service and ask for a partial refund.
Dana (5 years ago)
I just experienced the EXACT same problem for Mother's Day. I called customer service and they simply said they were sorry. I wish I had done some research first. NEVER again will I use FTD!!!
Ann M McCarron (5 years ago)
Sent my mother FTD's Deep Emotions bouquet ("best" version") with 17 stems: regular roses, spray roses, berries & lilly grass. What I got was a pathetic arrangement with roses and carnations. Looks nothing like pic on website. Called FTD to complain they said that they have the right to substitute flower. I called the actual florist to complain turns out the "florist" they used was Stop & Shop - a supermarket!!

Jill (5 years ago)
My husband just ordered me flowers for Mothers Day. Paid $75 for 'Best' w/ 19 stems. I received 11 flower stems. The other 8 were fern stems. Guess that's my '19 stems'. Ripoff. Switching to Pro flowers if need be.
Candi (5 years ago)
Thanks for this post.... I was at check out and something told me to check on reviews of this site im glad i did, or i may have been embarressed sending them to my mother in law...
Anthony (5 years ago)
Just to add, the flowers were for my wife. She thought I was just being cheap, which made me even more angry with these losers!
Anthony (5 years ago)
Happened to me on Valentine's Day! I was so embarrased! Paid over $80 just to get a tiny flower arrangement with small flowers. Are you f#$%@#$%kidding me, FTD? Bait and switch, I will never order from these fraudsters again!
Bryan (5 years ago)
Happened to me today, I am so mad. Wish I had seen your post first.
Jann (5 years ago)
Thanks for this post - it seems that FTD has not changed. I was suspicious because the "stem" count advertised did not match the photos on the FTD website. Thanks also to Cathy for her expertise. Just save me half a hundred dollars.
Terry (5 years ago)
I got the same screw job today. Ordered the best and it looked nothing like the picture (lots of substitution and much smaller). Last penny they'll get from me.
Ross (5 years ago)
Well, two years later and your post is still working to deter people from FTD by educating them on the false advertising. I'm not purchasing anything from FTD after seeing your comparison photos. Thanks for the post.
Ryan (5 years ago)
I've purchased two flower arrangements from FTD online. I had the exact same experience. I ordered the best they offered. What arrived was less than the cheapest of the three. These are your local florists who receive the order from FTD. The other thing that f'ing pisses me off is the $19 delivery fee. They drive 3 miles and get $19! WTF? I hate ProFlowers.com because their flowers wilt within a couple of hours and/or the base of the flower petals are so weak, they flop over immediately. You really need to drive around to several local florists and price the stuff out yourself.
Roxanne (6 years ago)
His is HWY robbery. The same thing happened to us. We spent $70.00 and got a small little vase with roses and flowers. Def not what was shown in the picture. Something needs to be done about the blatant misrepresentation of this product and these type of companies.
bonnie (6 years ago)
Wow!! Same boat as DJ...stem count looked off and I googled and came to your site. That arrangement looks like someone got it out of the dumpster. Thanks for saving me $60 and the embarrassment of having something like that delivered in my name.
dj (6 years ago)
I almost ordered the "best" but saw the stem count and thought it seemd suspicious when compared to the picture so I googled and found this blog. Thanks Adam. I will order locally. Shame on FTD.
Duane (6 years ago)
I had the exact experience with mt FTD order, but that was only part of the issue. I also ordered chocolates and a balloon but none of these items were delivered. The delivery person even tried to argue that these were not part of my order until I showed him my receipt. Then he said that he would return soon with the items, but he never showed up again. My suspicions that this was how they normally conducted their business with the sizes was verified when I read the original post. What a scam! I am tried to get my money back for the undelivered items but they are giving me some equally suspicious excuses. In the meantime, I have filed a complaint with the better business bureau and started telling forums about my experience.
Cathy (6 years ago)
I ordered the better bouquet size precious hearts bouquet today and got 3 fuschia roses, 6 large orange carnations and 4 red daisy stems. it stood 11 inches high by 9 inches wide whereas it was stated to be 15 inches high. Very disappointed and won't order through FTD again.
Andy Wendt (6 years ago)
Sad!

And sad to say that's been my experience too.

Way to call them out.
Cathy (7 years ago)
I'm a florist and can perhaps shed some light on the difference between what you saw on FTD's website vs what was delivered.

The word 'stems' applies to blooms with a single flower - like a rose - as well as blossoms with multiple flowers on the stem. The design you selected contains miniature carnations (which usually have 3-4 flowers on a stem and asters, which also typically have 3-4-5 flowers on each stem. So in the smallest designs, the 11 stems means 5 roses, 3 stems of mini carnations and 3 stems of asters.

The delivering florist substituted standard carnations (larger flowers with a single bloom per stem) for the mini carnations. They likely did not have the pink minis in stock and FTD's substitution clause allows them to send a similar flower in place of the ones shown on the site.

The shop also appears to have oriented the flowers all the way around instead of how FTD shows them (all the flowers facing one direction) in the picture.

IMO, the all-the-flowers-facing-the camera gives buyers a misleading impression of the total presentation of the design. Also note, FTD does not indicate that the design is single sided or all-around, and this can lead to disappointment.

Hope this explains how what you saw online was different than what was delivered. I suggest you call a local florist direct and then they can communicate with you direct if any substitution is necessary to get timely delivery. (You'll also save the $14.99 service charge.)